This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Familial Mutt

Trista's eyes watched him without further hint of her thoughts, but it was now that the pair who had "adopted" her stepped forward. Braiden's smile had faded, and he was clearly unimpressed by the young Altaran's display. Koir, however, walked up and clapped the man on the shoulder with a smile. The blow was probably enough to knock the wind out of the smaller man, but the big Gaidin's smile said that it was well-meant. "Good show, lad! Nobleman, eh? Took me years to beat the pomp out of this one," he gestured at Brai with a hand the size of a dinner plate, "but he turned out well enough." The younger Gaidin gave a poor imitation of a smile and half rolled his eyes, but the expression quickly dissolved into a genuine grin.

The trio set off for the Tower with the newcomer in tow. Koir was a friendly man, for all he was a giant, and he happily informed the foreigner of the sites that needed to be seen before the man left (assuming he intended to leave). As they passed one inn that Koir was particularly fond of, the big Gaidin put his arm around the smaller man's shoulders and leaned in. "That inn has some of the finest ale to be had. And the inkeeper!" He thrust his free hand upwards, unintentionally crushing the other man between his thick arm and stone-built body. "A flower in the Waste, my boy! A flower in the Waste." He looked down, realizing what he was doing and releasing Kasimir. "Sorry lad, I get a little enthusiastic about Miss Merranda. She truly is a beaut, lad. Don't get any ideas though, 'cause if you lay hands on her I might have to break them off," his face dropped abruptly into a very serious expression. Just as abruptly he laughed then, landing another unintentionally hard smack on the man's back, "I'm just kidding, boy, my Aes Sedai be the only woman I do be breaking hands for." His Illianer accent was nearly gone after so long it the Tower, but it still snuck through at times.

Reaching the stairs that led into the Tower proper, Trista turned to face the other Altaran. "I'm afraid you can't enter the Tower armed," she said, and waited for him to either present his weapons or leave.

[Image: kas.jpg]
Kasimir

Kasimir staggered under the first blow, blinked, and abruptly laughed when he realised the friendly intention of it. Light the ox-like man had a swing on him! He was infinitely relieved it had been the woman who'd pinned him, else he might not have had much of a ribcage left. The praise was misplaced - he had ended up face down on the floor - but Kaz laughed along anyway and accepted the apparent friendship. It was much better that being arrested and sent to some cell. He'd seen enough of the inside of one of them to last him a life-time.

"Kasimir," he offered, but neglected his surname on the slight chance the Altaran would recognise it. He really didn't want to be adding half Seanchan to his list of crimes, no matter that the Tower seemed tolerant of such things (them having raised at least one Seanchan Aes Sedai and all).

When they passed the inn, Kaz tilted his head to catch the sign swinging over the door for future reference and struggled to breathe. Light, light, light, light, LIGHT! He waved the apology away, even though that time it felt as though he had cracked a few ribs. Creator above, if the man could do that to those he didn't think of as threats! The smack on the back launched him forward a few steps, and when he regained his balance he held up both his hands. "Perfect gentleman, me," he said, perfectly seriously.

Upon reaching the base of the Tower's steps, Kaz looked at the woman a moment, as though suspecting that rule might be made up, but presently shrugged and decided to show willing. With a flash the single dagger had returned and he offered it out hilt first. "That's all," he told her, then grinned. "You can frisk me if you like." He laughed and spread his arms but suspected that if anyone did the checking it would be one of the men; she didn't look the type to find Kaz's cheeky humour amusing, but it never stopped him trying.

She took the dagger and then thoroughly (and perhaps a little more roughly than was necessary) took him up on his offer. Frisking wasn't something everyone entering the Tower had to go through, but he had offered. Trista wasn't actually certain it was law that you not enter the Tower armed, but it was considered highly direspectful. With Aes Sedai, it was safest to assume tradition was law. Even having been out in the city, none of the three Warders were openly armed. Of course, each was a weapon in themselves, steel or no.

The Gaidar gave his dagger and anything else she had seen fit to remove from him to a girl wearing the banded hem inside the massive entrance hall. She also gave the girl instructions to have a guest room readied, where he could either remain or simply procure his materials after his visit.

Despite her booted feet, Trista's path through the Brown Halls was audibly marked by no more than a whisper. Her long, quick strides flowed with the deadly grace all Warders possessed, daring the foreign man behind her to try and get away with something untoward. There was no animosity in her presence, but also no tolerance. He may have been her countryman, once, but she belonged to the Tower now, and felt no special connection to the ruffled young man.

The Brown Halls were as pristine as any other; kept in order by the head Brown servant Driella regardless of the sisters' often dreamy demeanors. Once inside the Tower, Koir and Braiden had left them to return to their respective Aes Sedai, and Trista was not vocal company. Aside from the occasional passing of a pair of sisters locked in debate or discussion, the hall was silent.

Arriving at the door baring a golden plate marked Malaika Sedai, Trista halted, and spoke back over her shoulder to the boy, "You will bow to the Aes Sedai, and be respectful." He likely did not need to be told, but Trista would not be responsible for the child's discrepancies. Light forbid he wink at a sister. She raised her and and knocked, firmly enough to be heard but never demanding.
[Image: cherry-blosson.png]
• ChihiroKōta •
MalaikaKwan Yin • Diana

Messages In This Thread
The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 03:56 PM
RE: The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 04:19 PM
RE: The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 04:25 PM
RE: The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 04:38 PM
RE: The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 04:52 PM
RE: The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 05:02 PM
RE: The Familial Mutt - by Eidolon - 02-01-2024, 09:28 PM