This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Creation myths
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to the idea of cultures and tradition assigning their own versions of creation myths in the context of time being circular.

The "real" creation would have taken place up to an infinite number of turnings of the Wheel ago. So let's think about creation myths starting with our own, present day theories and working backward.

A few examples:

Big Bang theory - scientific theory
Genesis accounts of creation
Popol Vuh
Māori myths
Greek cosmogonical myths
Sumerian creation myths (oldest)
So on and so forth...

Clearly many of these seem preposterous to "modern, scientific minds," but at the height of their tellings, were accepted as fact.

Let me ask the question. What is the creation myth in the Wheel of Time books?

The universe and the Wheel of Time are brought into existence by the Creator. At the moment of creation, the Creator's antithesis, the Dark One, is also brought into existence. The Creator imprisons the Dark One in a prison outside the pattern.

The Third Agers clearly believed this as truth. The Aes Sedai taught it, after all.

But could it be a myth based on who-knows-what just like all the other creation myths? Other than the fact that we know there is a Dark One, what if it's based on nothing at all that even closely resembles the truth of creation, or anything since?

That means there's no wheel. Or, at least, that the turning of the ages isn't quite as hopeless as it appears. For all we know, there could well be a straight line of events. Nothing in the book factually shows that everything that was will necessarily be. It's all subjective interpretation. :3
Unfortunately for MURICA and FREEDOM we have RJ's follow up on the nature of the Wheel in his interviews that confirms the accuracy of the Wheel/Creation theory of the Aes Sedai.
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Fuck you my way is less depressing.
Uh yeah, clearly the wheel and creator and dark one and all that are real, because RJ said they are. But how did the folks in the books figure that out? Something must have been realized between now and the Age of Legends. How does someone discover this giant abstract cosmic Wheel anyway? Screwing around with the One Power, I figure. But still. What does that actually mean?
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Not sure. Likely messing around with the One Power, maybe a theoretical physicist? discovered the presence of the Pattern, etc.

On an unrelated note. I ran across this today.

Devil's Tower, Wyoming.

[Image: 74402c4d-3c5c-4c78-be5c-a38d33c9e2b3_zps213cdbe3.jpg]

That's the remains of Dragonmount, isn't it? Haha.

Anybody been there? Is there a giant river nearby? Kinda of a creepy, oddly placed tower of rock in the middle of flatlands.