This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A Friendly Little Spar
Pyotr watch the fight progress. They were fast really fast and Pyotr wondered how they reacted to one another. How did they see what was happening in time to block or parry or whatever they called those fighting words. They were tripping, kicking, doing whatever to hit each other. Pyotr found it a little disorienting to watch.

Pyotr's focus shifted to the smaller man - who suddenly had a menacing presence around him. Pyotr recognized it. Something happened to the bigger one with tattoos. He became angry. It was no longer a game. Eventually, the teacher guy next to him went in to intervene as tattoo wrapped his leg around the other guys neck. It was kind of scary to see.

Suddenly the presence was around tattoo. Wow...there were a lot of people that could use luck. Teacher kept working to calm tattoo down. Tensions seemed to dull a bit, but it was still palpable. Pyotr only watched. The blood didn't bother him, but his mind was on how he would be able to defend himself if that was happening.

"It's so fast, how do they react so fast."
Pyotr whispered to himself.
Nox felt the shift in his mood more than he saw it. Everything went from fun and games to deadly in the blink of an eye. He had missed it initially, but he knew that something had triggered him to go off.

But between the gasps for breath and the complete pain everywhere Nox couldn't think on it. It wasn't until someone was pulling him off of his person that Nox could react. He gasped for breath, his life felt on the line. And then there was that menacing presence, like some large hulking oni... Where the fuck did that come from? Nox growled at his memory. Stupid shit!

He knew what that meant. Giovanni had clued him in on that. Nox wove a random net of air, it didn't do anything, but he made sure that his new found friend saw it. He grinned as he offered a hand and drop both the weave and the power. "Nox. Thanks for not killing me."

Nox climbed out of the ring. His muscles ached, his ribs hurt. He threw an arm around the one who'd watched. "You're turn."
Nox couldn't help himself, he hummed pop goes the weasel.
The man Nox, Pyotr had heard him introduce himself and saw the net he wove, put his arm around him and announced that it was his turn. He hummed pop goes the weasel as he did. Pyotr thought that was an odd choice of song, but whatever. His nerves began to go crazy as the teacher guy approached him.

The trainer laughed. "It doesn't always go like that. Sometimes people get carried away. But it’s good to know how to handle yourself."
He looked Pyotr up and down. "So you wanna do this?"

Pyotr looked at the man and his nerves continued to rise a bit, but he was here for a reason. He wanted to learn. He was tired of being pushed around, and he wasn’t going to learn just by sitting here. “Ummm…I guess…I don’t really know what to do though.”

The trainer clapped him on the shoulder. "No worries man. We'll get you going. First off, we'll work on your endurance. You're going to have to last in a fight. Slowing down because you're gettin' tired means getting your ass beat. So we'll work on that. And you're gonna need to get stronger."
He stopped and took his arm in his hand, feeling along the forearm and bicep and then to the shoulder. He pushed against the top of his chest. "It's a good start. So, first things first. Endurance and agility. Go get that jump rope."
He gave Pyotr a big grin. "You are gonna hate this. But you can do it."

The trainer was at least starting him out with something a little more easy for him to do. At least he didn’t have to hit anyone yet. That would probably be embarrassing – and given tattoo’s reaction to Nox summoning Luck, Pyotr wasn’t sure that getting embarrassed would be a good idea right now. Pyotr obeyed and got the jump rope, waiting for more instruction.

They jumped rope for awhile and Pyotr began to sweat. He was skinny and small, but it didn’t mean he was out of shape. He had some endurance, but the trainer – he found out his name was Charlie – pushed him beyond his norm, forcing him to work harder. Charlie was right though - Pyotr kind of hated it. After jumping for awhile, they moved to the punching bag. Pyotr put on the gloves he had bought and Charlie began to show him how to punch correctly.
Bas stood up, watching the guy warily. The guy stood up and looked at him with a smile. And then, amazingly, he saw the guy used the holy power. His jaw dropped. it didn't do anything, just something with air. The guy had done it on purpose so he could see. And then came over and offered his hand. Bas could feel the power drain from the man and suddenly that weird feeling was gone."Nox. Thanks for not killing me."

Bas stood there stunned, and then a stupid grin split his face, shocked. He laughed and shook the guy's hand. "Sebastian. Friends call me Bas."
It was one thing to know that Ayden was right. It was another to feel it. A question suddenly popped in his head and then left. That feeling had been so odd. It was like when you were stepping up to a guy, face to face. Especially when they were bigger and looking down at you. And you had two choices. Bolt like a little bitch and hope he didn't catch you. Or stand right up and fight with everything you had so that win or lose, he'd to respect you. But that feeling, that sense like he was right there ready to hurt you, that was what it was like.

Cept that Nox seemed pretty cool about the whole thing. He coulda used the power during the fight. Woulda been a cheap shot, of course. A cheat. That said something that he didn't. Course, had Bas continued to choke him, he probably would have. Bas knew he would have it he'd had to, so that didn't really bother him.

Nox climbed out of the ring- looked like it might hurt to move. He'd not been gentle- and threw his arms around the skinny kid. "Your turn"
he said with a laugh. Bas couldn't help himself. He laughed out loud. Charlie looked at him like he was crazy but then went over to the scrawny kid. Wasn't long before he had him doing warm-ups.

Bas saw Nox who was sitting on one of the metal chairs just watching or whatever. Bas went over to the vending machine and got a couple sports drinks and then went over and handed one to him before sitting down himself.

"Sorry about that man. Didn't mean to get carried away. Usually a match is friendly. It's just...I've never felt that feeling before. Never felt...you know."
He looked up to see that Charlie and the skinny kid were far enough away. The kid was panting pretty loud too. And there was no one else close to them. "...power. I only recently found out there were others who can do...what I do."
He paused, remembering Ayden and her saying that everyone had their own way to get it. Part of him didn't like how it meant that the Holy Mother wasn't his special lady. But you didn't whine about stuff you couldn't control. "So...how long you been doing it? What can you do?"
Nox sat down and watched he ached, dropping the power had only dulled the pain a minute bit. Said how bad he shouldn't have done that. But he'd learned something new about his mystery girl. She pulled at him, he wondered where she was, who she was. If only he could remember the important things as easily as the stupid things. What the fuck was an oni? It had come with the presence that his opponent had given off. It was large and menacing whatever an oni was. He'd have to figure that one out too.

Nox watched weasel boy and thought to himself he should have started out that way. He'd pay for a week when he left, this was as good as a place as any to do the training - weights and fighting, but he didn't need a trainer, he was pretty sure once he could move better, he'd easily get the upper hand. Fighting had felt natural, but he couldn't focus in the ring. Too something, he couldn't get the feeling out, didn't really care.

Sebastian, Bas, so much easier, offered him a drink. Nox took it gratefully. "Thanks man."
He cracked the lid and took a long drink, Nox hadn't realized he was quite so thirsty.

"Sorry about that man. Didn't mean to get carried away. Usually a match is friendly. It's just...I've never felt that feeling before. Never felt...you know....power. I only recently found out there were others who can do...what I do. So...how long you been doing it? What can you do?"

Nox sat back in the chair and laughed. "A few days. I honestly don't know. I'm not joking when I tell you I've got a lot to remember."
Nox gestured to the tv. "I'm sure you heard about the plane, I was on it apparently. Don't know why but I was. I fell from the plane before it crashed, or so they tell me. I know my name, and that's pretty much the it of it. Everything before waking up in a full body cast is gone."

He grinned. "I got my wallet and an apparent cash flow I have no idea where it's coming from, a memory of a girl who I have to find, and this power."

Nox grasped the power, made it bent to his will. He sent a fine tendril of air at weasel boy and tickled his face with it. His reaction would be fun if nothing else. "What I can do, I don't know much. Some things seem to come easy, like I've done them over and over again. Without thinking."
Nox wove a wall of air in front of him. "Rather useless without a fight. Great against projectiles I'm assuming from the tight weave. How I know that, no telling. So today, I'm rusty, we'll see what tomorrow brings."

Bas listened attentively while watching the skinny kid follow Charlie's instructions. He was determined, he'd give him that. He was drenched in sweat and Charlie wasn't letting up on him. Now he was going from jacks to push-ups to the bag and back again. The guy's heart was probably jack-hammering. Charlie would probably ease up in a bit to let the guy cool down. He knew what he was doing. But he didn't waste time either. If you were going to pansy-ass your way through it, he'd make sure you gave up the first session.

Nox's story though, that was interesting. "You must be fifty kinds of lucky to have survived falling out of a plain, man! Even with the body cast, shit!"
As for the rest. "Man that's some next level shit right there. No memory? A mysterious girl. Cash. And the power? What the hell man? Sound like a movie or something."

For all that, though, he liked Nox. Suddenly he felt that menace again. Now that he knew what it was, he didn't feel threatened. Well, not really anyway. The guy coulda surprised him when they were fighting, if he'd wanted to hurt him. Still....he prayed- which now felt kinda weird, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he needed to ask the Holy Mother before he could use it- and the power flooded into him. Just in time too, cuz he saw a tendril of air make it's way to the scrawny kid just as he was jumping and tickle him on the cheek.

Bas laughed at the kid's reaction. God, this could be lot of fun. A thought occurred to him and he laughed again. He'd have to try it when he was with a girl again. Maybe Sasha. Maybe. She was so clingy after that first day. Still, she still was smokin hot. It might be worth it. Plus, get that Ayden off his back, in case she decided to come after him. Course, a part of him wanted her to. Now she looked like she'd be fun in the sack. Maybe it was the hair and contacts, but he couldn't help but wonder if she was a fireball there too. And since she could use the power....well that just led to all kinds of interesting possibilities.

All idle thoughts of course. Nox pretty much was running on instinct, much as he was. But what he wove, and how he spoke of it- 'tight weaves blocking projectiles'- said that his knowledge of the power was very specific to combat. Aside from being cool to hang with, he might be a good guy to learn from.

Bas leaned back and wove a couple threads of air and fire that he enjoyed using. "I really don't know what to do with the power that much. I like to blow shit up. That's fun. And mostly if we're down in a fight or something. Like someone is going to cheap-shot a guy from behind. Or if you can't get somewhere in time. That's how I first did it, anyway. Dickwad was gonna shoot my buddy in the head and I was runnin for all I was worth and wasn't going to make it. And suddenly, that guy was flyin through the air and slamming into the wall. Was pretty cool actually."
He laughed at the memory. "I need to practice it more in fights, I guess. Could be useful. Though to be honest, I love me a good hand to hand fight. I think that's maybe why I mostly fuck around with the power and don't use it for anything too serious."

He paused remembering Ayden and his hand. His voice dropped. "Dude, just a couple days ago I saw this chick take my busted up hand and heal it! Just like that! Blew my mind that you can do that. I gotta learn more about this. This could be good."
Jumping jacks, push ups, punching bag...lather, rinse, repeat. Pyotr was breathing hard and was drenched in sweat. He hadn't worked this hard in a long time. If Charlie was trying to weed out the people who weren't really committed, he'd have to go harder on Pyotr. The nerves were gone...completely, and despite the hard work, Pyotr was beginning to enjoy the work out.

The menacing presence returned and he felt that both men had summoned luck. Pyotr didn't respond until something tickled his cheek a little. He jumped slightly, but inwardly smiled. They hadn't expected that he could sense it. Pyotr looked at the two men and gave them a broad smile and a wink. A small gesture showing that he knew.

"What you think they're cute or something...no slowing down keep going!"
Charlie said and returned his attention to the punching bag once more. "Put your whole body into it. Remember twist at the hips"

Edited by Pyotr Grigory, Sep 24 2014, 11:13 AM.
Nox finished the drink. Seriously need something stronger. Weasel boy winked and smiled at him, at both of them. Holy.... how many people can do this and know they can. Bas laughed, Nox grinned and shook his head. "Seems weasel boy has an inkling of what I did."
This could be interesting.

Bas declared his fondness of blowing things up. Nox had to laugh at that, that seemed a very him thing to do despite the fact that he didn't remember doing so. Nox nodded at his love of hand to hand. But Nox didn't agree. "I enjoy a good fight, but I prefer to be not close, a good gun, or cross bow, or a whip."
Nox made a weave of only air as he had with Giovanni, he cracked the whip of air and the sound echoed in the gym. People turned and looked their direction, Nox could only grin. Only the three of them saw. "Usually it's laced with fire too. No idea how or why I know it."
Nox was enjoying showing off.

Healing, now that nagged at him. He remembered a fall and waking up with the girl standing over him. Nox leaned back in the chair, teetering on the back legs. "I think my mystery girl did that to me, healed me."
Nox sighed and the chair clanked to the floor loudly. "I really need something stronger."
Nox tossed the empty bottle into the garbage can near the door. "Maybe a pain killer or two too."
Bas was surprised too at the scrawny kid's wink. Nox voiced what he was thinking. Seems that this was his week. From knowing no one who had the abilities that he did, it seemed that now they were cropping up everywhere. Or maybe somebody upstairs had some plans- or at least a funny sense of humor.

In any case, he listened as Nox spoke. He understood what he was saying, of course. Guns were always better, he supposed. But for the stuff that he grew up with, it was more about respect. Oh, if you had to you'd kill a guy. He'd done that a few times. Especially since he'd gone to work for the Mordvinovs on a more full time basis. But other than enemies like Boris, most people didn't need much killing. Dead people didn't pay what they owed, after all. Nor did they get you the contacts or stuff that you needed. Shake downs were more his thing, though of course he also doubled as Roman's guard when he was around. All in all, guns were useful, but a good old-fashioned fight was much more satisfying. Guns took away the skill and the finesse. The brutal contest. Fighting was more immediate and the results usually showed who was the tougher man.

Plus, the cops were less interested in you if you didn't have a string of mysterious gun-shot wound deaths to tie around your neck. Just Boris, and that was a heart attack. Heh...his heart attacked him. Not quite, but close enough.

Still, when Nox made a whip of air and cracked it, he was impressed. Now that was fucking cool. He could see how fire would make it more deadly. Maybe he needed to look at using the power in a more professional setting. He looked around and then lowered his voice. "You know, you- well Scrawny over there if we count him- make the third person I've met this week who can use the power. Seems like people like us are gettin thick underfoot rather quickly. Might be cool for us to spar with the power like we did in the ring."
He let the implication sink in.

He looked Nox over. The man was still sitting stiffly from his beating. "I don't mean right now. But maybe down the road. Who knows? Might be fun?"
He laughed giving the guy a grin and clapping him on the shoulder. "Give you an opportunity to even the score."

At Nox's mention of needing something, though, a thought came to him. "I'm gonna get a drink after this. If you're not planning on going to your mysteriously provided home, you're welcome to join me."
He smiled and jutted his chin at Scrawny. "Hell, let's invite the kid. See what kind of trouble we can get up to tonight."

Yeah, tonight was shaping up to be all kinds of fun.
Nox grinned. Now that was a good idea. Trouble and drinking sounded like fun, though inviting weasel boy would be fun, Nox wasn't sure he could behave himself. Pop goes the weasel floated through his head whenever he looked at him. Kid was trying though. Though he looked about the same age as Nox but he was still a kid.

"Sound good on both accounts. Maybe teach the kid to stand up for himself."
Nox laughed. "Sparring with the power is only exhausting, not physically tiring for the post part. Though I do tend to flourish a bit."
Nox laughed, it wasn't really memories, just the few times he's used the power it seems to come with hand gestures that mean nothing really in terms of the actual 'magic' act.

They waited and chatted while weasel boy finished up with the trainer. He looked dead tired, a drink would do him good. As he passed them Nox got in step and put his arm around him. "We are going for a drink, care to join us? A little booze, a bit of the power and maybe even some women. How's that sound. Name's Nox by the way."