This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Furia and the Atharim
Well, Rune's reason is that her mommy was possessed by a ghost when she was born.
I think there is a lot of room for different magnitudes of Furies, we only saw one sniffer in Hurin - the potential variations in each of the sniffers powers is quite a bit.

It was never clearly defined, so I think each Furia could reasonably be unique in themselves without it messing with the continuity of the power.

I don't really think it necessarily needs to be defined either, beyond each Furia is unique in her power. Some are similar, but none are exactly the same. It seems to me that dealing with the sensing of emotion, violence etc.. would be a very personal thing, not something that is a random standard.

"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
I'd go for that. What Michael said.

Furies tie in really well to the wheel of time world, which is all about balance and neutrality. They are concerned with disruptions in the natural order which probably explains the source of their abilities.

I dont think anyone would call Hurin particularly fearsome, although the furies were described as such -- but that could be attributed to the fact that only three names of individual women have survived the eons, therefore, the personality of furies could simply be attributed to the personalities of these three in particular.

Which now i'm wondering, could there be male Furia? Or would they be something else? The saidin to saidar, the male version of the same thing. If there is a separate male version, are they called something else? Furia "sounds" fairly feminine after all.
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Aria's is an exaggerated 'empathic' ability, which is what I took from reading the Furia (empaths) description before I knew that Furia were a 'modern' take on sniffer. So in technicality, she may be Furia but she's more empath.

Ghost Rider?? And not necessarily the movie, but the comic it's based on. For those that might not have liked the movies [Image: 18.png]

That was one of the first things I thought of when I read the Furia description.

Edited by Aria, Aug 8 2013, 08:02 AM.
Oy!!!

What if we have broader ranges of empathies than Hurin did because the first age furia are the more advanced versions of furia! By the time the third age gets here and Hurin is born, he's more devolved which is why he only smells one thing (violence!). They did say that sniffers are a thing older than the age of legends (like wolfkin) so it makes sense that our Age's furia would be more 'powerful' than what was seen in the books!