This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Da Capo (Manifesto)
“So you are interested in me,” Adrian’s smile was a blend of accusation and tease. Maybe she sought leverage. Most did. Just as her statement about the entire world attempting to summit the final climb. But that she inquired of his story meant the connection wasn't a full failure. “I wouldn’t turn down the chance to meet him, if the opportunity presented itself, but I don’t waste my energy hacking at the impenetrable. It’s a dangerous and tiring game, and I’ve better things to do,” he shrugged. Whether or not that was true or the story he told out loud was uncertain. Either way, he was a man of the long game. Let others destroy one another to reach the top. Eventually, he’d crawl over the bodies left behind and get there anyway.

Her question didn’t spark any drama of old wounds or hint at secret stories. “My reasons are rather borish, I am sorry to say. I was offered a scholarship for university here. I took it and have done well since. The only thing waiting at home is an estranged family I don't care to mend, but I suppose you know all about that,” he said only to immediately soften his expression with one of concern, “I’m sorry. I should not have said that.” Not that he thought her delicate, but his own honor blurred with the strategy of conquest so fiercely sometimes that even Adrian couldn’t discern his own sincerity when it came out.
A hint of laughter. “Don’t forget: you followed me.”

Natalie claimed to hate the game and play only by her own rules, but she still played. Adrian claimed patience. Not a man for undue risk or rashness. That was useful to know, but not necessarily what she had been looking for. She could not sway him with the recklessness of her cause, nor entice him with insinuations of power (and nor would she have been content with the latter; this wasn’t about power). Desire was easy to manipulate; everyone had a price they paid willingly for the things they most wanted – Natalie included, of course. Moving people into advantageous places was helpful, and often it was easy, but it was also a soul-destroying sort of tiring. She’d treated Evelyn like a piece on a gameboard, but what she’d truly wanted at the time was an ally.

Time forged that, and little else. But the foundations had to be laid somehow. He didn’t salivate at the thought of Brandon’s praise, or wasn’t willing to admit to it anyway. Since it was hardly a question she could ask outright, that would have to be enough.

“You’re right, I do.” She shrugged, and ignored the apology offered. She didn’t ever speak of her father, and she wasn’t about to start with a stranger. Even Jay didn’t know the half of it, and she was uncomfortable enough with what even he had seen of that particular demon. Adrian wasn’t actually asking though; or, at least, she did not think he truly cared for gossip half a decade old. Natalie’s expression had retreated into habitual stillness, second-nature reflex by now whenever it came up, but otherwise she might have smiled slyly at the tactic. She was too jaded to consider the chivalry truthful, even if it was.

“Some wrongs can’t be forgiven,” she agreed. Natalie’s was an enduring loyalty, more enduring than was probably good for her, but when betrayal severed those ties, they were severed forever. Her reply held a note of that truth, in warning or acknowledgement. She didn’t know what caused him to turn away from his family, after all, and she would not ask now, though she did drop her gaze to the ring for half a moment. He was seeking commonality not sharing secrets. “Perhaps we have something in common after all.”

By now darkness had plunged outside the car, the lights of civilisation dotted fewer. A rougher road began to grind under the car’s wheels, until it finally pulled to a stop. Little could be seen out of the windows anymore, just the reflection of their own faces.
Cruz shrugged. "In a crevice in a wall." He didn't want give away the location exactly but he didn't exactly want to lie either. "I would love to meet such a person. Even if it's only idle curiosity. It was meant to be hidden but also I believe meant to be found." Cruz smiled. "Perhaps you can arrange a meeting for the three of us and we both can indulge our curiosity?"

[[OOC: sorry totally missed Cruz's cue here. We can do the meeting or whichever and hop to a new thread if you want.]]
[[OOC Sorry, I had meant to move Natalie and Adrian into a different thread when they left the club, so things didn’t get confusing/buried, and it completely slipped my mind. After Adrian responds I will do it next post, especially since they have moved to a different board location now. Cruz and Zhen can continue here or move to another thread at a later time, depends on how quickly @Seven responds.]]

“I would be delighted, Cruz. Let’s see what he says.”

She smiled and reached into her purse, withdrawing a slim, top of the range wallet.

Seven, darling, I have a mystery for you

The message concluded with a smiley face blowing a kiss, and the club’s location. Knowing Seven’s curious and spontaneous nature, it would be enough to lure him; though, also knowing Seven’s penchant for being, shall we say, sought after company, he might equally be busy at this time of the evening. Though it went without saying that Zhenya would be disappointed should she not be considered at the top of that list.
[Image: zhenya-scaled.jpg]
She sent the message and now what was there to talk about. Business was done, curiosities to be awaited. Cruz did put the coin back in his pocket and smiled at Zhenya. "Can I offer you another round while we wait on your friend's response?' He wasn't nearly as good at smoozing as his grandfather would have liked, but he was only nineteen, he wasn't supposed to be on par with the CEO of companies. He had years to learn from his grandfather. His father was no help. His mother would be so proud of him now though -- holding his own against the big wigs. Things had definitely changed since his father and Nox got into that fight. Cruz could only wonder if he'd be here if he were still living at home -- probably not since his friends had dragged him out and he ditched them. They weren't even good friends -- he did miss Sage and Nox though.
Dinner ended pleasantly and Xander hadn't intended the night to go on. Nor did he intend to be having dinner with the would be heir of a forgotten crown. There wasn't really money it at least not to be conned. But other family heirlooms or secrets -- those were always something to look out for. Not that Seven was someone he intended to con. He enjoyed his company.

But now he had another problem. Z didn't have manifesto attire. Neither did Tobias. Alexis did, but was that something he could use to pull together something Z would own? And Z definitely didn't have the credit to get into Manifesto. Thankfully Alexis credit chit held no name on it. It was a risk he'd have to take.

Xander trolled through his closet looking for Z appropriate attire. A pair of black pants and a black silk shirt seemed to go with the look Z could pull off. He donned a silver corded tie and a black cowboy hat to go with the cowboy look. Xander regretted not having a pair of black cowboy boots. Alexis did have a pair of faux alligator skin boots that would fit nicely and add to the money. Xander couldn't help the allusion it wasn't denim but he liked that Seven had called him a cowboy. He was going to play it up.

Satisfied with the look Xander restyled his hair in a moppish messy look he knew it would fall flat with the hat crushing it if he tried to spike it like it was now. And Xander made his way to the most expensive place in town -- or one of them anyway. He'd garnered a few marks from here, but Alexis was not here tonight -- tonight was a different thing.

Xander waited outside hoping that Seven hadn't already gotten in. Might be a little more difficult if he got stopped at the door -- he wasn't ready to flash Alexis' credit if he didn't have to.
"The greatest friend to a con artist is lack of knowledge." ~ Jane King

[[ooc: @"Natalie Grey" New thread?]]
[[Natalie and Adrian continue here]]
Seven enjoyed exploring the blocks around Manifesto. He’d been there before, certainly, but usually with a number of others for company. It was quite a different experience to wander the city streets alone. Indeed, he strolled with one hand in his pocket while the other occasionally lifted a mini-mod to his lips. It was a sleek little device that slid into a cartridge on his wallet for programming and customization. It pulled humidity from the air and required no refills. Unlike many, he steered clear of the synthetic nicotine substitutes, opting instead for the more calming pharmaceutical agonists. He was not often in an excitable mood, no more than what was normal, but he was relaxed tonight and sought the pleasure of drifting aimlessly. As a result, he was several minutes late in arriving, but upon finding Z, he slipped the mini-mod back into its compartment and exhaled the final cloud for the night.

“And what a stone-cold cowboy you make,” he said with a brilliant smile and a faux tip of the hat. His accent was all the more prominent in comparison to the American’s and together they requested entrance. Zhenya had paid the requisite fees, he found to his delight, and they entered the Moscow world of night together to seek her whereabouts.
Seven ✧ Freyr ✧ Daryen
Walking into the club was jarring at first but Xander followed Seven. He was grateful for the company but they searched the club for the friend who had sent the message. They didn't wander though, it was mostly a meandering line towards the other blocks. But they paused and Xander stepped closer behind Seven. The crowd in front of Seven ignorant of their passing. Xander put his hand on Seven's hip and leaned into to speak in his ear. "Does your friend require our immediate attention." Xander paused and sighed. "At least save me a dance?"
"The greatest friend to a con artist is lack of knowledge." ~ Jane King