This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Numbers' Gambit: The Rules
I thought I'd post the rules to the game Jon's offered to play with Oriena and Jaxen in the Kings of the Castle thread.

A little backstory: I was researching games of chance, odd card games, parlor games, etc. for something Jon might want to play with the two, and nothing really grabbed my attention. So I made up a game to play instead. I called it Numbers' Gambit. It has a chance element to it, a truth or dare element, all the things that make a great game, right?

Yeah, well what can you expect when I pulled it out of...uh, let's go with thin air. Anyway, it might actually be kind of fun to play as a drinking game or whatever, so I thought I'd publish the rules that are also equally pulled out of...thin air. Might be a fun icebreaker at your next party or something.

Numbers' Gambit
A game pulled out of thin air

Players: 3 (or more, as long as you can make the dice roll equally distributable among the players)

Equipment: Stack of blank index cards (or bar napkins, or whatever) and three pens. One six-sided die. Booze.

How to play:

Each player antes up a “forfeit.” The type of forfeits to be played for are to be determined beforehand. In the game Jon will be offering to Oriena and Jaxen, the forfeit is an agreement to submit an honest answer or make an action demanded of the winner. (Yes, a spin on truth or dare).

Each player takes an index card and writes down a number from 1 to 20. The player puts the card face down and doesn't show it to the other players.

One of the three players rolls a single die. The “shooter” moves to the player sitting to the right with each round.

If the die lands on a 1 or 2, the players give their card to the person sitting on the left. 3 or 4, the player passes the card to the right. 5 or 6 and the player keeps his or her card.

Players reveal their numbers. The highest number is the “winner” and the lowest is the “loser.” the player in the middle is the “judge.”

The winner may now collect his forfeit from the loser, who must comply. The Judge may be appealed to if the loser believes the demand is too over the top, inappropriate, etc. The judge may also be called upon by the winner to ensure the winner's forfeit is properly collected. Judge's decision is final.

Since it is likely that all players will find themselves in all roles at any given time, a player who behaves poorly in some rounds (as a winner, a loser or a judge) might find him or herself in a less forgiving position later on – this encourages proper gamesmanship.

TIES: ( haven't really worked out ties yet but this is a start)

Two-way tie for the loss: IF both players have a “1” they are both losers and must both submit to the winner In this case, there is no judge. The dual losers are screwed. Otherwise, both losers take a drink without a forfeit and the game continues.

Two-way tie for the win: IF both players have a “20” they must mutually agree on the forfeit to be demanded from the loser. Again, there is no judge in this position. Otherwise both “winners” take a drink without a forfeit and the game continues.

Three-way tie: All three players drink and the game continues to the next round.

This game can be modified to be played with more players and a die that allows for equal distribution of pips among the players. For instance, two six-sided dice can allow for 4 players, with 1-3 being pass the number to the left, 4-6 to the right, 6-9 across the table and 10-12 players keep their own number. You could also go D&D and break out the D4, the D8, the D10...etc.

Anyway, have fun with it if you choose to. Maybe it'll catch on, but my feelings won't be hurt if it doesn't. I realize I put way too much thought into this.

JLB
Excellent!

Also, yeah I will definitely GM your guys' die rolling.
Fantastic, I was going to get around to sending a request today but I guess someone else went and did it instead, so...yay, procrastination wins this round!

This is the way I have the seating laid out in my mind:

Oriena---Jaxen
\ /
Jon

Putting Oriena to Jon's left and Jaxen to Jon's right. Jaxen is to Oriena's left and Jon is to Oriena's right. Jon is to Jaxen's left and Oriena is to Jon's right.

And let the game commence!

Pft. GM? Two trickster gods and goddess of discord? You can totally trust us!!

*pout*

I TOTALLY would have played fair.

edit: oh, and should we use this thread to declare our numbers (could use spoiler tags)? Or just incorporate it IC?

Edited by Oriena, Sep 7 2013, 05:25 AM.
"You say you're a godman. So what? 
I'm the devil herself"
Alpha ~ Little Destroyer
[Image: orianderis.jpg]
I figured on incorporating mine IC. But we could use this to keep track of each round. that is, for example.

Jon: 10
Jax: 7
Ori: 13

GM follows up with a post --

Quote:<dl>
<dt>Quote:</dt>
<dd> </dd>
</dl>
Dice roll: 2

Winner:
Loser:
Judge:
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
I like the IC incorporation of what number the character picks. That way what the character picks and writes down in private can be part of the roleplay.
An idea I had that you guys could incorporate is to use the spoiler function in the BBC codes (above). So I went and flipped the function on via the board settings. You could do as both Jon and Jaxen did before and write out what number your character decides IC, but hide it behind a 'spoiler' so that your competitors can write their posts without truly having seen what you guys chose. (Unless he/she just wants to-*wink*)

example

Nikolai wrote a number on the card and turned it over so the others couldn't see.

Spoiler: click to toggle
LOL, that's what I meant by spoiler tags above! And for the same reason ascendancy suggests. Although I didn't realise spoiler tags weren't on, I used them in the tips and tricks post and they worked fine!
I'm the devil herself"
Alpha ~ Little Destroyer
Works for me.
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
For those without twitter and/or facebook, the first random die roll is in.

*pout*

Edited by Oriena, Sep 8 2013, 12:37 PM.
I'm the devil herself"
Alpha ~ Little Destroyer