This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Jaxen's thread of wiki stuff
Pronunciation isn’t right either. It’s more like Eric-ken
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Okay, done
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
[Image: thal-banner-scaled.jpg]
 | Sothis Lethe Alethea | Miraseia |
(02-05-2023, 06:38 PM)Jaxen Marveet Wrote: *frown.

Last paragraph was messed up.

A deal stricken

What started in the Second Age was undone when Lythia returned an object to his hands that held his soul. What the Dark One held firmly in his grasp was released, and Arikan was free to choose his allegiance. He vowed to never bend a knee to another. His loyalty to the Dark One dissolved, replaced with the obsession of revenge and a willingness to do anything to achieve it.

Following his escape from Lythia’s torturer, he landed deep in the countryside of Tear. It had been a thoughtless destination. Conjured from some buried memory. The effects of the torture settled to quick and near-fatal consequences. A Yellow who had been in the region followed the disturbing rumors to the farmstead where she found the remains of an emaciated man dying from infection. It was obvious he’d been subjected to torture, and she quickly deduced his real identity. Their deal was struck, and she healed him.

did think the "he vowed to to bend the knee" line was a bit odd, ha
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
Update for Morpheus

Destiny

This soul is a story of destiny being shaped by the life you are born into. That circumstances of one’s birth and the events that unfold are more powerful than independent will. It’s unknown if his is a soul that is filled with a core of darkness or one of light. Every age in which he is spun lends to great ambiguity as to what sort of creature emerges. In one turning of the Wheel, a man is born called Morpheus. What follows is his story for this Age and this Turning.

Unchanged

Regardless of allegiance and masters served, the soul’s personality is largely unchanged with each spinning. He focuses intently on a goal and will sacrifice morals to achieve it. He is selfish and manipulative, but not so merciless as to be without the capacity for empathy. As a result, his cunning yields effective results. Perhaps in compensation of a soul powerless to achieve its independent will, he craves power and attention. A workaholic, he does not tie himself to other people and finds the thinnest relationships distracting. This is not to say he will not serve a master, and in fact can be very loyal when he chooses.

As a thread, he usually is born with the spark to channel. Sometimes he is quite powerful a channeler and others less so, but in all threads he is a Dreamwalker. It is that talent that is his defining trait and attracts the attention of rulers, gods, kings, masters and in the 2nd and 3rd Ages, the Dark One himself.

In The Arms Of Morpheus

Μορφευς

Morpheus was the Greek God of Dreams.

He was foremost skilled above all gods to shape and form the dreams of men, mortals, and immortals. He could appear in the dream of anyone living and in the world of dreams adopt any shape, mannerism, voice, and appearance to perfection. As his name implies, the Greek word morphe means form, and he was the one who shaped and formed the dreams of others.

It was said that to enjoy a sound sleep, dream of the future, or see visions of coming events was to be in the arms of Morpheus.

Being the master of dreams, Morpheus had the ability to send images to the visions of people, to shape these images and give a form to the creatures that lived in dreams.

Quote:“Hypnos was father of a thousand sons – indeed a tribe – and of them all, the one he chose was Morpheus, who had such skill in miming any human form at will. No other Dream (Oneiro, Morpheus’ brother)  can match his artistry in counterfeiting men: their voice, their gait, their face – their moods; and, too, he imitates their dress precisely and the words they use most frequently.”

The Winged Morpheus

When in his real form Morpheus had wings on his back. He was known to appear in a demon or an angel form. Just as the soul reflects, it is unknown which form is reflective of the core within.

Morpheus used his wings not only to reach those who needed help in their dreams but also to carry his father, the wingless Hypnos, to the dream world in the caves, when in several occasions needed to be saved from Zeus’ menace.

Quote:“Night had covered the world with her sable curtain, and wrapped the peaceful sisterhood in the arms of Morpheus.”

Statues of Morpheus depict him as having one winged ear. This symbolizes him listening to dreams through his regular ear and delivering messages from the gods through dreams with his winged ear.

Family Tree Of Morpheus

Father: Hypnos, God of sleep, son of Erebus (God of darkness) and Nyx (Goddess of night)
Mother: Pasithea –  Goddess of relaxation and hallucinations
Uncle: Thanatos – God of death

Morpheus shares none of his parents’ traits and delighted in manipulating the dreams of men. His parents disapproved of his rebellious nature, urging their powerful son toward stillness and calm, but he hungered for more. It was this ambition lured by his uncle, Thantos that drove him to the court of Hades where he was properly appreciated. His grandparents, Nyx and Erebus were also members of the Court of Hades and drew their grandson to their domain as well.

Morpheus was the leader of an army of dreamwalkers known as the Oneiroi, all loyal to him and ultimately to Hades. They were his ultimate assistants: Icelus was responsible for the reality parts of the dreams, Phobetor was the creator of phobic or fearful dreams, while Phantasus created the unreal dreams, full of phantasms. But among these three mighty dream-makers, Morpheus was the greatest and oversaw the dreams of heroes, kings and gods.

Messenger of the gods

Morpheus was the dream messenger of Gods, communicating divine messages through images and stories via the creation dreams. The ancient Greeks viewed dreams as a gateway to the unknown world that, at the same time, reflected reality. Dreams were often seen as prophecies, or apparitions of events happening in real-time, or else messages from loved ones in the afterlife.

Morpheus was among the busiest of the Gods, as he was constantly forming dreams for men and deities, as much if not more than any of the Olympians given his domain of watching and ruling the dreams of kings, heroes and gods. He did not have a partner and never married like most of the other gods, presumably because he was too busy. The only exception is an association with Iris, goddess of the rainbow and another renown messenger of the Olympic gods. It is known they worked together at the behest of Zeus and Hera, whom Iris served, and perhaps there was a short romance, but the truth of their relationship is lost to time.

Quote:“Soon through the dewy dark on noiseless wings flew Morpheus and with brief delay arrived at Trachis town and, laying his wings aside, took Ceyx’s [ghostly] form and face and, deathly pale and naked, stood beside the poor wife’s bed. His beard was wet and from his sodden hair the sea-drips flowed; then leaning over her, weeping, he said: ‘Poor, poor Alcyone! Do you know me, your Ceyx? Am I changed in death? Look! Now you see, you recognize–ah! Not your husband but your husband’s ghost. Your prayers availed me nothing. I am dead. Feed not your heart with hope, hope false and vain.’”

King of the World of Dreams

The Dream World of Morpheus was the place where he primarily lived and his army of dream-demons worked. While shaping dreams of mortals as he wished, and visited countless bedrooms, Morpheus slept in a cave full of poppy seeds. That mythical fact is the origin of the name of the drug, morphine.

The River of Forgetfulness and the River of Oblivion were known to be found in the world of dreams. They were so important to his work that Morpheus sent two monsters to guard them. The monsters materialized the fears of any uninvited visitors to disturb the River goddesses. The only entrance to the world of dreams for those not a dreamwalker was through devices known as the Gates of Morpheus.

The Gates of Morpheus

Morpheus was the guardian of two portal passages into to the World of Dreams that those without the talent may use to enter it: one made of ivory and the other of horn.  The ivory gate was associated with deception and the horn gate was associated with truth. The words are very similar to each other, but the meaning of these effects are lost in translation.

Quote:“’Listen then,’ I said, ‘to my dream, to see whether it comes through horn or through ivory.’”
-Socrates

Quote:Stranger, dreams verily are baffling and unclear of meaning, and in no wise do they find fulfillment in all things for men. For two are the gates of shadowy dreams, and one is fashioned of horn and one of ivory. Those dreams that pass through the gate of sawn ivory deceive men, bringing words that find no fulfillment. But those that come forth through the gate of polished horn bring true issues to pass, when any mortal sees them. But in my case it was not from thence, methinks, that my strange dream came.
-The Odyssey

Citizen of the Underworld

It was said Morpheus’ waking-world home was in Erebus. But he also possessed a cave-like lair within the world of dreams lined with poppies that none but himself would access. Even when Zeus or Apollo visited the World of Dreams through the use of the Gates of Morpheus, they would be unable to visit Morpheus in his lair unless he emerged first.

As the rift between the Olympians and Chthonians widened, Morpheus’ place in Olympus as the messenger of the gods became more and more entrenched with the command of his new master, Hades. In the waking world, he was a member of the court of Hades, and served him as a general serving his king. What event occurred that transferred his loyalty so firmly to the Underworld is unknown, but it is likely the Hades fanned the flames of Morpheus’ ego and fed Morpheus’ hunger for recognition and authority. The formerly beautiful, angelic being became known in the world of men as a demon as a result of his reputation and alliance with the Lord of the Dead. The bringer of dreams themselves were known as oneiroi, or dream demons. With Morpheus as their leader, he adopted the moniker fully. In the world of dreams, when not taking the form of another, he is a literal winged demon.

The demon form is called The Sandman.

Thal can do past life links and all that stuffs.
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Will do.

Jaxen Wrote:The River of Forgetfulness and the River of Oblivion were known to be found in the world of dreams.

Uh, those two rivers are one and the same. Are you thinking of another underworld river?

I think it was Ovid who added a parallel river that ran alongside Lethe (Mnemosyne/memory), but Mnemosyne herself was a titan goddess rather than the personification of a river. Zeus never really punished the lady titans so she wasn't in Tartarus, and she was the mother of the 9 muses with Zeus so I assumed wasn't a member of Hades court. For my purposes I have assumed that Lethe had a dual function and that accounts for it. She could take away memory but also bring it back, and did so as Lethe as a form of torture. Since Lethe and her exploits were never remembered in myth, that side of her ability was forgotten. Or maybe it was never widely known in the first place. Either way, it was wrongly attributed to another memory goddess in the myths.

Nimeda used this ability on Soren in the dream with his kid, the one Thalia had when she was unconscious on the rocks. She used the nightmares she has seen him have to dredge up memories of an old death. Some of the drawings on the cabin's bathroom wall depict things reminiscent of Ragnarok. None of the characters went in there so I never mentioned it explicitly, ha.

Interestingly, there's also an account that drinking from both rivers has an association with prophecy. I should probably update Lethe's page.

If you're meaning another river though, let me know which one. I'll just add as is for now.

edit - also, I assume this replaces Morpheus's current page and is not an addition, since some of the info is duplicated.
(02-07-2023, 03:38 PM)Thalia Wrote: Will do.

Jaxen Wrote:The River of Forgetfulness and the River of Oblivion were known to be found in the world of dreams.

Uh, those two rivers are one and the same. Are you thinking of another underworld river?

I think it was Ovid who added a parallel river that ran alongside Lethe (Mnemosyne/memory), but Mnemosyne herself was a titan goddess rather than the personification of a river. Zeus never really punished the lady titans so she wasn't in Tartarus, and she was the mother of the 9 muses with Zeus so I assumed wasn't a member of Hades court. For my purposes I have assumed that Lethe had a dual function and that accounts for it. She could take away memory but also bring it back, and did so as Lethe as a form of torture. Since Lethe and her exploits were never remembered in myth, that side of her ability was forgotten. Or maybe it was never widely known in the first place. Either way, it was wrongly attributed to another memory goddess in the myths.

Nimeda used this ability on Soren in the dream with his kid, the one Thalia had when she was unconscious on the rocks. She used the nightmares she has seen him have to dredge up memories of an old death. Some of the drawings on the cabin's bathroom wall depict things reminiscent of Ragnarok. None of the characters went in there so I never mentioned it explicitly, ha.

Interestingly, there's also an account that drinking from both rivers has an association with prophecy. I should probably update Lethe's page.

If you're meaning another river though, let me know which one. I'll just add as is for now.

edit - also, I assume this replaces Morpheus's current page and is not an addition, since some of the info is duplicated.

It’s an update. 

And uhh. I thought they were different rivers. Clearly that’s wrong.
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
You should have just taken credit for all the extra research I thought you did, ha
Entry: Adrian Kane

Destiny

This soul is a story of destiny being shaped by the life you are born into. That circumstances of one’s birth and the events that unfold are more powerful than independent will. It’s unknown if his is a soul that is filled with a core of darkness or one of light. Every age in which he is spun lends to great ambiguity as to what sort of creature emerges. In one turning of the Wheel, a man is born named Adrian Kane. What follows is his story for this Age and this Turning.

Unchanged

Regardless of allegiance and masters served, the soul’s personality is largely unchanged with each spinning. He focuses intently on a goal and will sacrifice morals to achieve it. He is selfish and manipulative, but not so merciless as to be without the capacity for empathy. As a result, his cunning yields effective results. Perhaps in compensation of a soul powerless to achieve its independent will, he craves power and attention. A workaholic, he does not tie himself to other people and finds the thinnest relationships distracting. This is not to say he will not serve a master, and in fact can be very loyal when circumstances arise.

As a thread, he usually is born with the spark to channel. Sometimes he is quite powerful a channeler and others less so, but in all threads he is a Dreamwalker. It is that talent that is his defining trait and attracts the attention of rulers, gods, kings, masters and in the 2nd and 3rd Ages, the Dark One himself.

Description

6”1” tall. He has a strong, prominent jawline, curly brown hair, and is always clean shaven. Investing two hours in the gym daily, he is mindful of what he eats and how he treats himself. As a result, he will sacrifice socializing, which he dislikes anyway, and proudly boasts an impressively muscular physique. He is fluent in French, can casually converse in Italian and German, and can order a drink in Russian. He traditionally wears a signet gentleman's ring featuring the Kane’s coat of arms on the small finger of his left hand as a reminder of origin.

Arrogant but can be charming, particularly toward women, when he wants. He has a temper that flares hot when provoked or denied what he believes he is owed. He is a hard worker, disciplined, but will cheat the system when he can. He has a mind for strategy, and in this Age, applies it to management of money and business. He will generally avoid taking advantage of the innocent but won’t necessarily go out of his way to help someone. He can justify the means to an end when necessary. His loyalty once pledged is held true, but any hint of betrayal will rot away any former ties that bind. For this, he is estranged from his adopted parents, whom he still believes will not tell him the truth of his origins. Deep down he lacks self-confidence, probably due to the rejection from his birth parents, and as such, compensates with a commitment to improving his appearance, wearing designer clothing, and purchasing other symbols of status.

School

Adrian was raised in former-England, adopted by two mothers long married. The Kanes came from money. Their prestige afforded Adrian a superior education at the sort of private schools princes attended. He graduated law school, interned with the Dominance offices in London, and specialized in finance law.

Portfolio

After the government internship during his college years, Adrian rocketed to the top of everything he attempted to conquer. His ambition seemed to know no end, and it was never enough. Even when he entered the offices of a top Moscow financial firm as their on-staff counsel, he was already contemplating the next rung on the ladder. He was known for having the damndest luck, although he couldn’t replicate the streak in any of the city’s gambling clubs, he favored the nightlife anyway. It was in one such establishment that he was introduced to some less than reputable characters. He rented his lucky streak out to others for a fee, and nobody questioned his methods. Quickly, he became a multi-millionaire, and with it, he invested primarily in himself. By thirty, he owned legitimate businesses around the city: from white-collar hotels and car dealerships to cleaning services and freight companies. Some were front organizations, but some were not. Deals were done in his hotels. When conflict got dirty, his companies cleaned the blood from the carpet.

He operates this large portfolio of businesses out of his primary building in the downtown Moscow financial district known as “Moscow City.” Part of the property is hotel, part is used by the umbrella organization, and part of it is his private residence.

Affiliations

Ascendancy - Adrian entered the dream of the Ascendancy to prove his abilities and offer his services as a dreamwalker in exchange for being taught to channel. The Ascendancy sent him one of the Rods of Dominion rather than teaching him himself. Adrian has not yet been called upon to manipulate the dreams of others on Ascendancy’s behalf but anticipates it will happen soon.

Jay Carpenter - the teacher sent by Ascendancy to instruct him in the ways of channeling. Jay is staying in a private property in Adrian’s primary hotel building located in the downtown finance district of Moscow.

Yakuza - His commercial properties have recently been leased to the Moscow-based Yakuza, whom will be opening a series of “Hostess clubs.” Their contracts state they buy out the property itself, but the land on which they sit remain in Adrian’s name and care.

Ryker - A mediator between Adrian’s legitimate businesses and organized crime in Moscow, such as the Amengual Cartel, Yakuza and the Russian mafia. His companies have been known to provide vehicles (or tow crashed or bombed ones away), provide deep cleaning services no questions asked, shipping containers and forklifts at other commercial warehouses, and even a housekeeping company that turns a blind eye to certain events.

Natalie - Recently invested in helping Natalie Grey flip a property located in the Golden Ring for future use as a school. His contract required 50% ownership in exchange for his expertise and access. He remembered Natalie from their younger years at preparatory school, although she did not seem to remember him in return. He probably exaggerated (or lied) about having their shared past just to charm her attention. He is genuinely attracted to her, and will probably continue to sleep with her for the time being. He will not be romantic or go out of his way to impress her as he feels he himself is impressive enough for someone.

Yasmine Amengual - Recruited by the widow of the head of the Amengual cartel to locate Jay Carpenter, who killed her husband. In exchange, she has promised him the Oculus device and channeler-blocking serum developed by Orion Pharmaceuticals.

Seven - Has an appointment to hire the consultant for his services to verify or move items acquired from his businesses.

Relationships

Straight. He has never had a serious or long-term relationship with anyone. Nor is he interested in such a thing. He finds them distracting and is more than satisfied with one-night-stands so long as he meets his alarm clock the next day.

Dream-shaping and The Sandman

Since childhood Adrian has shaped the dreams of those he meets. As soon as he realized he could use this skill to manipulate others into doing what he wanted, he immediately began to practice it. He has grown aware of the dangers of the Dreamscape through unfortunate trial and error.

When visiting the World of Dreams or seeking the dream of another human, his form defaults to his demon form from the previous life. When in this shape, he easily enters and exits his lair, which is located in a pocket that he designed as Morpheus. Pockets are extremely difficult to design, and can only be done so by working with a Vortex, a particular type of dreamer that can manipulate the pattern of the Dreamworld.

Quote:The creature’s steps shook the ground. Its feet ended in claws that dug imprints into the stone. Its narrow eyes rolled from one inhabitant to the other. Both were mighty in will, but none compared to its mastery over them all. Its mind pierced the veil of each of the three, seeing their intent and rating their skills. What it found was not what it sought, and it's judgment was cast. 

As the demon, much of his previous skill as Morpheus has been rediscovered and he still feels responsibility of overseeing the Dreamscape. He has watched the others in the dreamscape, seeking a Vortex among them, but has not yet discovered such a being. As a result of his oversight, he is often referred to as a Watcher of the Unseen Eyes. Mara calls him the Dream Eater as he has been known to devour her nightmare pets when they grow wild or out of her control.

His demon form is also known as the Sandman.

Quote:The sandman himself was so named for the porous qualities of sand. Sand was the beginning and the end of dominion. Gripped tight, and sand broke free. Held loosely and the sand remained as it was, but when disturbed by forces of power and energy, sand transformed into a substance that cut sharper than diamonds. The sandman himself embodied these elements. He was the line that rimmed the edges of all that existed. He kept everything bound to its place lest it wash away by the tides of time.

[other lives and all that goodly stuffs]

Does this discharge your blackmail?
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
(02-07-2023, 11:04 PM)Thalia Wrote: You should have just taken credit for all the extra research I thought you did, ha

Yah. Yes I did much extra research. I deserve all the credit. You may grovel now. *nod nod
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
(02-09-2023, 01:41 AM)Jaxen Marveet Wrote: Does this discharge your blackmail?

Weeell, not entirely. You still have to update Jai's page. That was a request straight from the boss-lady, and you wouldn't want to disappoint the boss-lady 

But well done on the rest *patpat*