This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WoT TV
I've seen him on Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders and then when he was brought into Criminal Minds.

He has an emotional core. But he can layer it over with a cool stoic exterior. I liked him a lot. His character wasnt Lan so it didnt need to be anything beyond what we might call normal for an FBI agent in the BAU investigating serial killers.

But I can see it. And he's got the physicality. A bit young (I'd guess 41 tops. Lan seemed more nearing 50, or even older.)

My only concern is that he doesnt seem to be weathered. That could be solely because it wasnt required in the role. Still, it fit Lan. Beautiful when young. More stony and weathered now. Mads Mikkelson has a weathered face. I would have loved him as Lan. Robert Redford or even Rick Shroeder epitomize the look. But it doesnt have to match the book description. Get Lan right and jimmy cracked corn, but I dont care!

Getting cautiously optimistic. Translating mediums means the story changes. It's a given. Keep the heart. And dont pander.
I read somewhere that Lan was around 43 at the beginning of Eye of the world. We all imagined Lan as older because of the way that Jordan wrote him and fan-art biases, but the planes and angles of his face, the hard stoney look, I can see Dan pulling off. Add gray flecks to his temple, sit him on a giant horse, and it would be good.
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
(09-05-2019, 06:49 AM)Ivan Sarkozy Wrote: My only concern is that he doesnt seem to be weathered. That could be solely because it wasnt required in the role. Still, it fit Lan. Beautiful when young. More stony and weathered now. Mads Mikkelson has a weathered face. I would have loved him as Lan. Robert Redford or even Rick Shroeder epitomize the look. But it doesnt have to match the book description. Get Lan right and jimmy cracked corn, but I dont care!

Robert Redford is 83, bro.
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Quote:but the planes and angles of his face, the hard stoney look,

This is where I was sorta struggling. But he's growing on me. Very much would like to see someone render him in character Smile
I seem to remember Lan telling Nynaeve (26) he could be her father.

And no, I wasnt suggesting robert redford or rick shroeder (or even Mads, really.) Was just illustrating how I envisioned weathered.

I think Daniel is fantastic. Character is what matters.
39 could be her father... 13 years old is possible... so 43 is doable.
(09-05-2019, 04:32 PM)Nox Wrote:
Quote:but the planes and angles of his face, the hard stoney look,

This is where I was sorta struggling.  But he's growing on me.  Very much would like to see someone render him in character Smile

I get that. Most of his Google images are soft-lighting and edited heavily to smooth out his skin. There's some that show his high cheekbones and sharp angles of his jaw line. I bet in character with the appropriate lighting would see him more weathered and "harder"
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
That's what I'm hoping Jaxen. Like I said he's growing on me. Add the handori and the grey at the temples and I'm sure he'll be a great Lan.
(09-05-2019, 04:34 PM)Ivan Sarkozy Wrote: I seem to remember Lan telling Nynaeve (26) he could be her father.

And no, I wasnt suggesting robert redford or rick shroeder (or even Mads, really.) Was just illustrating how I envisioned weathered.

I think Daniel is fantastic. Character is what matters.

I see what you mean. 

Seems like I read the 43 somewhere, but don't remember where.
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Lan is 46 in 999 NE (I think close to the start of the books)

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Al%27Lan_Mandragoran born in 953 according to the wiki