This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Spilled drinks
Your kind.

If Jay's attention was not focused before, now it circled tight as skin. Blood pulsed hot under his skin. His hands clenched at his side. He'd shown the officers all the respect they deserved. Nox was half dead. Natalie's was a wreck of blood. Jared was losing his mind. Jay felt foolish for healing a glorified scrape, and before he realized it, his hand absently brushed the place on his shoulder where it once burned. But the disdain in which the officer muttered a certain phrase frayed Jay's control to fringe. Your kind. The phrase echoed across a thousand generations and literally ripped his soul apart. He felt sick. Your kind.

Sick with fury, he stepped forward. The officer was taller than Jay by an inch, but the soldier was not concerned. The battery in his head begged to be let loose. If only he knew what to do with it.
"Your kind?"
He asked, touching Dorian on the arm that he move aside. Nox and Jared were helpless. Alvis was silent. Natalie stepped up, and every word she said rung true. If it weren't for the gravity of the situation, he could have stared. Her composure in all this was incredible.

But they called for something else instead. They wanted the dangerous ones cuffed. Jay considered throwing the guy a punch, taking his gun and turning it on him just to show which of those present was the greater danger, but something quiet inside said that was not the real threat. He wanted to use a power other than his own muscle and skill to take over. There was a far more effective alternative literally at his fingertips. His soul reached out and wrestled the beast into submission. Darkness took his face even as the light burned bright inside.

They wanted the dangerous one, they could have him. "Nox didn't murder that man. I did. He covered for me."
He glanced back at Nox, then at Natalie. He hated to say this in front of her, but at least something lifted in his chest he hadn't known to be tight with guilt the whole time since. "At the concert last night."
He swallowed as he stared at her, like she might say something to make him change his mind. But the path was set. He had to follow it now.

"I'll make this easy for you."
He offered out his wrists. Not that he was keen on going to jail, probably should have been there the last few years anyway, but at least no one would get arrested on his behalf.

The officers exchanged looks. "Two confessions to the same murder? Fine, then Lieutenant. Have it your way." He holstered the pistol and steel slapped on Jay's wrists.

Some cocky officer with a patch of an NCO on his arm led him to a car. Jay glanced at Jared. The guy knew Jay was off-duty last night. It wasn't murder in the traditional sense. He had saved that girl, but it did look bad. He'd said as much to Nox last night. That the guy spent the day confessing to a murder, Jay frowned. At least he was too weak to do anything to stop it now.

Just before he was shoved into the back of a police car, he was frisked. Jay frowned when they relieved him of his sidearm but didn't move to stop it. At least the time in a cell would give him time to practice wielding the power.

With the tension somewhat diffused, the other officers lowered their defensive. The backups retreated to their vehicles. Two primary squad cars remained to take their reports of the situation and survey the area for potential witnesses. Otherwise, the one talking with Dorian offered to call an ambulance.
Only darkness shows you the light.

The inference was clear, and thus the prejudice. This one considered the burned channeler a murderer, set loose on society by some secret cult handshake, and once more found in suspicious circumstances. It gave her pause, just for a moment. Was he dangerous? She wanted to look at Jay, just enough to gauge if there was any surprise in his reaction. But it would show too much hesitation; she couldn't afford to seem unsure. The path forged ahead was one of blind trust.

The voice message trickled back a little as she tried to navigate her way to a fuller picture; the words that had surrounded the I'm scared constricting her heart and relegating the rest to interference. Cannibal monsters. Words that had no meaning at the time, but a lot had happened since. Starting with the chloroform smothered against her face.

She was playing this game without all the information. That much was clear.

"It doesn't 'make it better for me', but it will make it better for you if things run smoothly."
There was a hint of threat as her temper spiked, but it ran cold as ice. The man was an idiot if he thought she balked at the idea as simply cruel because she was a woman, as his tone suggested. Her stare pierced, but Jared staggered to her side then, and she caught onto his elbow like he might need the support. He seemed disorientated, or at least confused, but now wasn't the moment to explain. She squeezed his arm to acknowledge the question but urge him to keep quiet until the moment diffused. Her fingers stayed there as though she might intend to keep him in place, but really it was simple camaraderie. Africa forged links not easily broken.

The cuffs were needlessly antagonistic; the police officer had barely comprehended a word. The guy could barely move. But Jay's voice cut in before she could speak, shattering any intention she had of controlling the situation. Her expression betrayed little, but she met his eyes without flinching as he spoke. She'd had plenty of practice at that; ghosting away so that he might as well have been staring at a stranger. Inside the anger banked, but she was too self-controlled not to realise there wasn't a damn thing she could do to shove the words back down his throat now. She wasn't angry at what he'd done; she was angry at the sacrificial way he laid his head out on the chopping block.

For what?

She watched the cuffs snap around his wrists. Trying not to think of her father and loss and the helpless sense that it was happening all over again. The note of panic ripping her insides disturbed her with its voracity. Jay had been paid to protect her in Africa. For all she knew he was paid to protect her now. Nothing but duty converged their paths; she ought to remember that. Everything else was fanciful imaginings. Though telling herself that did little to assuage the feelings she carefully wrapped up and stored away from thought. Instead she glanced at the burned channeler, still on the ground and barely gripping to consciousness. Felt a desperate tug back from a precipice that crumbled about her toes. The fall would only hurt.

He got in the car without protest. Natalie didn't watch any longer. The remaining tension eased, but she felt grimmer than before. She ignored the remaining officer now, and the bland offers of an ambulance. Inside she reorganised her thoughts. Shut herself down. Focused on the bare threads. Struggled for a reconciliation as to why she couldn't walk away. And decided on a simple solution; one she didn't need to examine too closely. He saved her life. More than once. And she owed him.

"Cannibal monsters."
Alvis must have heard the same message if he'd found Jay, and she could have looked askance to him, but it was to the detective her words were directed. Not even a question really so much as confirmation of his earlier words. Of girls and monsters. An understanding of how thoroughly fucked up the situation was. But she was going to need more information if she was going to fix this. "That's what they killed? What evidence will they have against him?"
Dorian sighed. This boy was just as bad as Nox. It was no wonder that things happened. Dorian thought about it. About the case itself. "They have a body of a man with an identity. There are two sets of teeth. There should be a DNA record of his death prior to it's death throwing in reasonable doubt. But it reveals monsters to the courts if it gets that far. Normally I would redirect them in a different direction. This time there was two children who died. Nox covered his tracks like he would normallly with fire. There was evidence of channeling. Nox confessed to the man but not the kids."
Dorian nodded towards the dead body. "That man was one of them men who killed the kids. I'll do my best to pin the murders on him, but it's a bit of a stretch after Nox's testimony at the station. I don't know what your friend is going to tell them."

An ambulance came and there were paramedics attending to Nox. He was struggling against them. "I should help them before he goes off."
Dorian nodded to the area around. "He may look weak but he might be more dangerous like this."

Continued at Rerouted

Only darkness shows you the light.

There wasn't much Nox could do. There was pain, and he was so tired. He'd been healed, but not by Jay, unless he'd learned something quickly in the few hours they'd been apart. He didn't even want to think about it. What they'd done, but the snatches of images form his memory poured though his mind, almost enough to make him blush. But the images were blurred, the feelings though Nox could remember that. It was what had awoken in the lust filled dream that had happened.

Pushing the thoughts out was harder than it should be. He was exhausted. After his fall Nox couldn't really do much it hurt, at least his ears had stop ringing. So tired.

People started trying to unfurl him, but he couldn't move to yank out of their grasp, he just wanted to be left alone. Dorian was near by, his hand on his shoulder with reassuring words. "Nox, it's just the paramedics. Let them do their work."

Nox stopped struggling. He tried to stay awake but once they had him on his back it was too difficult. They'd drugged him, he knew that. "For the pain."

Last thing Nox remembered was Dorian saying. "I'll meet you at the hospital."
She was surprised at how readily he answered the question, and though she was still missing vast swathes of context, she gathered up the facts to sort through later. The detective was already fading as though her concerns were the least of his; which they probably were. He was keen to tend to the burned man. Nox. But she pressed one more question. "And where will they take him?"
She didn't know Moscow, not at all, and she needed to know where to start looking.

The ambulance arrived quickly. Natalie shrugged off the suggestion that she could also do with the care, which was mostly true. By now her feet were throbbing, but the thought of a trip to the hospital only darkened her mood. When Alvis murmured something about making sure she got safely home with the tact and gentleness of a long lost friend, they hovered for only a moment more, asking Jared too if he was okay, before focusing their attention on the one who needed it. She watched numbly as they worked, rubbing her arms against the chill. In the lull she could feel the night's events circling her thoughts, threatening to overwhelm the calm she armoured herself in. But she was adept at forcing down her emotions. It might make her cold, but it didn't make her weak.

The sirens blared again to mark the ambulance's departure. As the detective made to leave she called out again, frowning. "We were in the tunnels. There were... creatures. Something to do with a rogue scientist from VaiaPlus. If that's the sort of thing your Atharim deal with."

Afterwards she turned to look at Jared. The rubble and destruction hung in her peripheral, and inside she felt kind of the same. Jared looked equally run dry; Natalie couldn't even imagine the sort of reserves it required to bring a man back from the very brink of death. "What happened? That's a good question."
A smirk lifted her lips, but even she couldn't maintain that sort of lightness; it quickly twisted to a grimace. Concern crimped her expression. She shared what little she knew, including the things she guessed. There was no uncertainty in her understanding of Jay's actions, even without all the facts. "What will you tell Danjou?"
Dorian answered her last question with a shrug. "Domovoi precinct."
He handed the woman his card. "My number and the address of the station. I'll do the best I can to help your friend."

Nox was wrapped up and taken to the station and he watched the ambulance drive past. She called out again telling him about the monsters below. Dorian smiled at her. "I'll be sure to let Nox know about VaiaPlus. He'll be keen to know there is a reason to hunt."
The boy was always going on about strange creatures in the tunnels. This was new news.

To the hospital to deal with a near dying boy and hope he didn't do anything stupid when he woke up.

Edited by Dorian, Jan 18 2018, 06:21 AM.
Jared was beginning to become more coherent even though there were still gaps in his memory from almost passing out. He was still exhausted, but that would pass eventually.

Natalie and the detective spoke and Natalie informed him of the creatures and Alistair. The man - apparently Atharim - said he would pass the information on. The detective seemed to know or understand more than the other cops, and at the very least agreed to try and help Jay.

Jared didn't believe Jay's admission to being a murderer. There was more to that whole story than met the eye. Jay had his faults, as everyone did, but he wasn't a murderer. His reasoing for admitting had been to protect Nox. They were apparently close.

Natalie asked if he was alright, which he was. He was just tired now. Natalie tried to smile, and Jared appreciated it, but it was hard to keep that amount of optimism up.

"I have no fucking idea,"
Jared said in answer to Natalie's question. It was rare for him to swear, but at this point he was tired enough and frustrated enough not go care. "There's more to this than meets..."

Jared was interrupted by his Wallet ringing - someone was calling. Jared pulled it out and noticed it was Emily. "Excuse me for a minute. I need to take this."

Jared moved away enough to have some privacy, but he would still be within earshot. "Hello,"
Jared answered.

"Heya!"
Emily said, her chipper voice helping to alleviate some stress. "We're going to have to get you a tux for this weekend."

"I'll be in dress uniform most likely,"
Jared responded. "It will probably be required of me.

"Well - you could use a tux anyway, so let's still get you fitted for one."
she paused. "Are you okay? You sound a little off."

Jared let out a breath. "It's been a long day - I'm tired. I could actually use a ride too, if it's not too much. Myself and a couple of friends."

There was concern in his voice. "Okay. Send me your coordinates and I'll be there soon."

"Thanks - and please bring some coffee."

The bid each other farewell, and Jared hung up. Hearing her voice had helped, and he was sure seeing her would help as well.

"Sorry about that. I got us a ride at least. It will be here soon."
The frustration rolled off him, and Natalie could hardly blame him for it; he was left to pick up the pieces of Jay's stupidity. She was reassured, at least, that he did not condemn Jay without consideration -- murder was a strong word, after all -- and nodded her own tired agreement as he moved away to take a call. Alvis still stood nearby, visibly less agitated now the situation diffused. His hands slung in his pockets, his gaze far away -- though it was the body of the Atharim man he stared at.

"What will you tell him?"

He turned to regard her, all mild and unassuming. "Your father?"
A shrug. "I'll tell him you're safe. Make sure that stays true. I've better things to be doing than babysitting Alistair Grey's get."

"You have a way with words. Did anyone ever tell you that?"

The offer of a ride home was perhaps the sweetest of the day. She folded her arms about herself, really starting to feel the chill of evening now, the last vestiges of adrenaline long since drained from her body. She couldn't have walked home in this state, even if she knew the way. Her feet throbbed, and a vice cinched her head tight. More importantly, she needed to check in before her mother did something inconvenient, like file a missing person's report. How long ago had she landed? Thirty-six hours? Longer?

"Thanks, Jared."
Natalie wasn't one for outward displays of emotion, but she meant for more than the ride.
Something was up. Emily knew Jared well enough for that. She smiled at that thought. She had met the guy only a few days ago, but still felt as if she had known him longer. Either way, he didn't want to talk about it now, and she respected that.

Emily drove quickly, but kept within the confines of the law. It was better to be safe, but she wanted to get there soon. Jared said he had friends with him, and she hoped they were all okay.

She arrived at the spot where Jared had told them to go, and she saw him with two others - a man and a woman. Emily parked her car and got out. Jared, who had seemed tense, seemed to visibly relax.

Emily took in the other two, the woman striking her more than the other. She seemed cold. Emily moved quickly.

"Hey,"
she said with a quick smile to Jared. "Introductions in the car - it's cold out here, and the heat is on in there. I also have coffee - enough for everyone."

She gave the woman a quick smile, and it was then she realized that the other woman was injured. "Are you alright?"

((OoC: Jared's Perspective))

As the car pulled up, Jared relaxed. It was the only way he could explain it. Emily's presence just released some of the tension he was holding. She wanted to get them in the car quickly, and Jared wasn't sure if it was because of the cold or because she saw the scene around them.

Warmth and coffee sounded great, but Emily quickly realized that Natalie was injured. True to her fashion, she wanted to make sure Natalie was okay. Natalie had refused healing or treatment, so Jared could only hope she was. He never forced healing on anyone, nor did he think he could pull it off now, even if he desired to.

Jared waited for Natalie to answer before speaking. "Come on...let's get inside."