This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WOT on Prime
I LOVE the opening credits. I hope they do the Aes Sedai/Ajah image as a print. It’s a nice detail that the style of artwork matches the animation of the Origins shorts. I also like that the loom could weave different relevant images for different seasons.

Rosamund Pike mentioned in an interview that some AS rings don’t have stones, so they must still get them as Accepted (which solves the question of how the girls will impersonate AS). One of the Origin animations also mentions being “raised to the shawl” which I thought was interesting, since we haven’t seen the shawls. Perhaps it’s still part of the raising ceremony even if they don’t wear them much.

RE all the hate. Well, haters gonna hate, and I think every fandom has that unfortunate subset of vocal idiots. I try not to read any of it. WoT won’t live or die on the opinions of disgruntled book readers or review sites, it’ll be down to it managing to charm non-book readers, and it’ll have to do that on its own merits. I think it’s well made enough to stand a chance of doing that.

Non-book readers don’t care about the possibility of the Dragon being born female, or that Perrin wasn’t married, or that Abel Cauthon was a respectable horse trader. They just want to be entertained.

My husband watched ep 1 with me tonight. He’s not a reader of any description, nor a particular fan of fantasy, and the only thing he knows about WoT is that I am a fan. He enjoyed GoT but not The Witcher (which I made him watch far enough to appreciate the toss a coin song, and he *still* never finished season 1). He gets bored easily. So far he likes what he’s seen, especially Winternight (although he keeps calling the trollocs “goblins”). I can tell the point he gets invested in a show because he comments on the characters. Incidentally, he thought when Lan asked Moiraine if she knew which of the kids it was and she said she didn’t that she was lying (he doesn’t know about the oaths yet). I asked him who he thought the Dragon was then, and he said it was “obviously” Egwene. Which I thought you guys would appreciate lol.
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
[Image: thal-banner-scaled.jpg]
 | Sothis Lethe Alethea | Miraseia |
(11-14-2021, 04:27 PM)Ascendancy Wrote: I'd love to get @"Giovanni Cavelli" 's take on the soundtrack!

Loving the soundtrack!
(11-20-2021, 07:41 PM)Armande Wrote: I created a thread for spoiler discussions.

And a brief comment. Evidently, trolls are review bombing the series. No, nothing will live up to our head Canon. But I am very happy so far. Head Canon isn't Canon. And translating from one medium to another requires changes. What works on page doesn't work in film and vice versa. The story is not the words but the characters, their struggle and the adventure and transformation they experience.

But trolls love to vent their spleen from behind the screens of anonymity. If you like the show enough, please consider leaving a good review. I want to see this thing take off. I want to see scenes I've envisioned for decades. I'm sure I am not alone.

Hopefully, the trolls don't ruin it for everyone.

Amazon says wot is their most watched premiere on prime so far this year, and in the top 5 all time. It's currently 1 in most popular on IMDb too (despite a score of 7.4). So hopefully that means it's doing something right so far, and the trolls venting their spleen are just shouting into the void
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
That's fantastic. And ultimately, as someone wisely pointed out, Amazon will be looking at actual viewing data rather than review scores. Even if it was a 1 star series and droves were watching it, they'd fund it.

So all around good news
(11-24-2021, 01:35 AM)Armande Wrote: That's fantastic. And ultimately, as someone wisely pointed out, Amazon will be looking at actual viewing data rather than review scores. Even if it was a 1 star series and droves were watching it, they'd fund it.

So all around good news

New Prime memberships will probably be the ultimate benchmark, but it's definitely a good sign.

From the ama with Rafe on reddit
Ohh, you guys see the trailer for ep4? It's a facebook link, sorry, haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

https://fb.watch/9unE9aO4pn/

edit: twitter link - https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/statu...5105680388
(11-24-2021, 07:09 PM)Thalia Wrote: From the ama with Rafe on reddit

i saw this and I was tickled. I always wondered at the depiction of religion and "scripture" in WOT. It seemed so unquestioned and homogenous.

This gives more texture. How do people KNOW what the prophecies say? Esp among the nobles and educated. How do they know they are true? How do they even know AS HAVE to tell the truth?

Certainly, the way the nobles acted around Rand despite his fulfilling prophecies showed that they really didn't believe all of it. They weren't willing to put their own ambitions on hold because of what was obviously happening. This will be interesting.
Yes! I saw it on IG. I like the look of the taint over the OP when Logain channels. And his accent is Mhuaw *kiss kiss*
(11-24-2021, 09:02 PM)Beto Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 07:09 PM)Thalia Wrote: From the ama with Rafe on reddit

i saw this and I was tickled. I always wondered at the depiction of religion and "scripture" in WOT. It seemed so unquestioned and homogenous.

This gives more texture. How do people KNOW what the prophecies say? Esp among the nobles and educated. How do they know they are true? How do they even know AS HAVE to tell the truth?

Certainly, the way the nobles acted around Rand despite his fulfilling prophecies showed that they really didn't believe all of it. They weren't willing to put their own ambitions on hold because of what was obviously happening. This will be interesting.

Agreed. It goes back to earlier in the conversation when it was like, just because Moiraine says it could be a girl doesn't mean it * has * to be a possible, it just means that Moiraine doesn't know if the DR is a boy or a girl. Then again, how do they know so much about rebirth and reincarnation anyway?! RJ knew. The reader knew. Doesn't mean the Aes Sedai (Moiraine specifically) know all the rules about rebirth or believe that the "rules" they learned are even accurate. 

I like it. Mic drop from Rafe.