This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Writing Problem Strategies
So I'm having issues writing lately. Sometimes I'm just not able to get into character. Other times, I'm just blocked. Nothing comes to mind or I'm just overly critical of my writing.

I thought we could share some strategies for dealing with this type of issue. I don't have any so...share away [Image: 18.png]

Anyone have any strategies for dealing with writer's block or any other writing issues?
Spilling words no matter what they are can help.

Writing prompts help too, if you are lacking the inspiration.

Taking a walk can help I've heard.

If I'm stuck on a character can't get into their head, even if I can, I'll start browsing through character development sheets or prompts. Sometimes those spark things that you never knew about your character, and could inspire a story to develope that new part.
  • <li style="display:none">
    </li>
  • Rereading that characters older threads.

• Watching a movie that has someone or a scene in it that reminds me of the character

• Listening to that character's genre of music.

• Reading a scene in a book that reminds me of whats happening in the scene I am trying to write.

• Definitely rereading older stuff i've written before.

"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
Good stuff so far! Thanks!
Jaxen's suggestions mostly work for me. Plus taking a walk, like Aria said - I brainstorm a lot when walking my dog. The other thing I'd say is that sometimes the motivation is just not there, in which case you shouldn't be afraid to just pack up and go do something else for a while. The "muse" will come back. Sometimes you just need a break.
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
[Image: thal-banner-scaled.jpg]
 | Sothis Lethe Alethea | Miraseia |
Starting to really learn how to plan things. I'm trying however to find a balance between planning and still leaving an element of spontaneity. I think that sometimes having something unexpected helps with character development. Any thoughts on this?
Mostly, I fly by the seat of my pants, but I found that having a loose outline for your character is generally a good idea as far as character development goes. I mean, I know I want Character A to eventually get to a certain point and achieve some thing along the way. How she/he gets there is always still a mystery till it gets written down; something that comes about from the interaction with other characters.

As far as what happens in the individual threads, I just go with a general idea and go with it. (So essentially the same thing) But, it's always fun to throw random things into the mix now and then or plot ooc with other people. Going to others and saying "I'm stomped! What do I do!" has helped too. Ask Two and CK, I've bugged them a couple of times. [Image: 7.png]
Gio asked me if I had any character sheet recommendations. I have a whole ton of stuff I've saved over the years. I've started keeping an active list I can share with ya'll.

It's specific to First Age in this case, and it's a general notes, with some examples I've toyed with and such.

Ya'll are welcome to take a look.

I don't update it regularly but I do add new things on and off. And if I think about it when I get home, I'll look up the bookmarks there and add to it. I've a ton of resources that I use for writing.